Tuesday, December 29, 2015

Last new dish of 2015: JB's Chicken Tomato Taco Soup

Introduction: It's the end of December and finally it's kind of cold outside; remember we live in North Texas....anything goes here when it comes to "winter" weather. Here in our house, we tend to eat soup all year round. In the winter we will lean toward a more hearty bowl. I wanted to share something that we've been experimenting with lately.

This is a soup that my JB has been working on for the last few months. It is basically a scrumptious rendition of two of my regular winter concoctions that I've been making since we were first married....our beloved taco soup that has a chili-consistency and the more brothy chicken tortilla soup. He likes his soups filled with cayenne pepper....I do not. Don't get me wrong, I do "like it hot" sometimes (I even like it hot enough to make my lip-brow sweat a little), but not when doctored with tobasco and c-pepper....I just don't like those tastes. So JB tamed it a little for our first real post of my 2016 New Years Resolution......at least one new dish a week.....here goes...

Dish #1:
JB's Chicken Tomato Taco Soup




Servings:
8-10 (1/2 cup)

Directions:
In a LARGE pot, over low heat, combine:

  • 64 oz Chicken Broth
  • 29 oz Tomato Sauce (canned)
  • 1 sm Rotisserie Chicken 
  • 30 oz El Pato Jalepeno Salsa
  • 1 TBS Black Pepper
  • 1/2 TBS Onion Powder
  • 1/2 TBS Garlic Powder
  • 1/2 TBS Salt
  • 31 oz Pinto Beans (drained and washed)
  • 15 oz Black Bean (drained and washed)
  • 31 oz Sweet Corn
  • 1 pkg Taco Seasoning

Let everything simmer for a good two hours on the stove. The soup will thicken as the liquid is boiling. After two strong hours, separate about four cups of the soup into a separate container, let cool. Once cooled, puree the separated, cooled soup in a food processor or blender. Then add back into warmed soup. Continue to warm soup for about a half hour more. Then it's ready to serve.

Tips:

  • If you want the soup hotter (spicier) add in some tobasco or cayenne to your single serving. 
  • I like to add a little cheese (cheddar or mozzarella) or sour cream to make it a bit creamier.
  • Could be served with tortilla chips like a traditional tortilla soup. 
  • JB has used a combination of pureed cream of tartar, white bread and heavy cream to make the soup a bit more creamy. 

Our nutrition estimates for a 1 cup serving is:

Calories
215
Total Fat
2.6g
Sat. Fat
0.6g
Cholest.
37.8mg
Sodium
1,716.7mg
Carb.
26.5g
Fiber
3.9g
Sugars
5.6g
Protein

Reviews:
JB - "It's still a little too brothy, I think I'll still work on perfecting it....but at this point, it's the best soup I've EVER made (except the chicken noodle soup I made for my honey when she was sick)."

TB - "This is amazing and has taken place of my other dishes I've loved so much for so long. As long as it's got that heat and consistency, I will gladly never make my other soups.....Just don't add cayenne or tobasco, man!!!"

Kids - When asked to try it, they all said, "No way, Jose!!"

Remember, please feel free to try our recipes and leave your own reviews and any changes you made to make it even better!!

No comments:

Post a Comment